Ozone is one of the most misunderstood particles, as it’s commonly mistaken as a pollutant. This is primarily due to its association with actual pollutants that are depleting the ozone layer in our atmosphere. Ozone particles protect you from sunlight’s dangerous UV rays that can cause skin damage and lead to skin cancer. Ozone can also sterilize drinking water without having to add chemicals and has many benefits for various dental procedures.
As a colorless gas that’s made up of three oxygen atoms, Ozone has therapeutic effects that have been consistently studied for over a century. In fact, controlled application of ozone is extremely safe and free from side effects, while also being deadly to bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
Different Applications of Ozone Dental Care
There are many ways to apply ozone therapy to an affected area, including gas, injections, advanced devices (i.e. HealOzone), and water. Dental Economics explains how ozone therapy in dentistry works to treat patients in several situations:
- Root canals: Ozone is used in all forms during a root canal procedure. It can reverse infections and with the gas application, there is an increase in the probability of a successful root canal procedure.
- Sensitivity: Flooding a sensitive tooth with ozone gas can work to eliminate sensitivity as ozone can harden your compromised tooth structure.
- Periodontal Disease (Gum Disease): By flushing ozonated water below the gum line or infiltrating ozonated gas into the gum tissue, dental ozone therapy may help prevent periodontal disease.
- Decay: Ozone is used to kill decay-causing bacteria, and as a gas, it can penetrate deep into areas below the gum line, such as the grooves and smooth surfaces of your teeth.
- Safety: Ozone does not counteract with other medications, so there is little worry about an allergic reaction or a cross-reaction occurring.
Benefits of Ozone Dental Treatments
Ozone is a naturally occurring substance that can replace caustic chemicals and invasive techniques. Its benefits, as outlined by Medical News Today, include:
- Kills infective microorganisms, such as bacteria, viruses, and fungi on contact
- Amplifies immune responses
- Speeds healing and decreases risk of post-surgical infections
- Improves blood flow
- Reduces pain, bleeding, and inflammation
Dental Ozone Therapy at Dakota Dental
Ozone dental therapy is one of many holistic wellness services we offer both child and adult patients at Dakota Dental. To learn more, schedule a free consultation at our clinic, so we can assist you in choosing the best treatment plan for your oral health issue For more information about our ozone dental treatments, contact us at Dakota Dental today.