A new year is the perfect time to prioritize oral health, and what better way to stay on track than with a meticulously planned 2024 dental hygiene calendar? From routine check-ups and cleanings to reinvesting in hygiene goals, your 2024 dental calendar is the ultimate roadmap for a year of dental health.
2024 Dental Calendar (+ Tips)
If you’re unsure when you last got your teeth cleaned or the best practices for healthy teeth, let’s get your dental hygiene routine back on track!
Brush Twice a Day
You should brush your teeth daily for at least two minutes, once in the morning and once at night.
- Set an alarm or keep a timer in your bathroom to make sure you’re brushing long enough.
- Don’t brush too hard—this can injure your gums.
- Scrape your tongue to eliminate bacteria and promote fresh breath.
To Read: How to Scrape Your Tongue Properly
Use Mouthwash Once a Day
If you don’t already, add mouthwash to your dental hygiene routine! Use mouthwash once per day after brushing.
- Opt for an alcohol-free mouthwash. Ones with alcohol can dry your mouth. Our Dakota Dental team can help you find a good mouthwash for your dental concerns and goals.
Floss after Meals (Or Once a Day)
Flossing helps remove particles that get stuck in between your teeth. If you cannot floss after meals, make a point to floss at the end of the day. Building a consistent flossing routine is one of the best things you can do for your oral and overall health!
- Carry floss with you so you can take care of your teeth while you’re out.
- Use the “C Shape” method to floss around the whole tooth.
Drink Plenty of Water
Water can help strengthen your teeth, prevent cavities, and even decrease the likelihood of bad breath. Drinking water flushes away food particles so they don’t stick to your teeth!
- Make sure your water contains the right amount of fluoride. If you don’t know, contact your local health department. They can provide a thorough analysis to determine whether you’d benefit from a fluoride supplement. Fluoride can help strengthen your teeth and prevent cavity development!
To Read: Our blog “5 Drinks to Limit for a Healthy Mouth” discusses which beverages can affect your teeth!
Get Your Teeth Cleaned
Every six months, schedule a routine cleaning to get rid of hardened bacteria, remove bacteria hiding in pockets in the gum, and give your teeth a fresh start. Keeping up with this routine can help minor problems, like a stubborn bit of plaque, become full-blown cavities.
If you can’t remember the last time you got your teeth cleaned, it’s time to make an appointment.
Our smiles add quite a bit to our self-confidence. If you’re wishing for whiter or straighter teeth, we can help with that. At Dakota Dental, we offer the following cosmetic dentistry services:
When Something Doesn’t Feel Right
If we’re paying attention, we can find that our bodies do a great job of alerting us to potentially significant problems. If you notice the following symptoms, there might be something going on with your teeth or even with your general health:
- Increased tooth sensitivity
- Mouth breathing
- Jaw pain or soreness
- Teeth grinding
You might also realize that you’re grinding your teeth at night or suffering from sleep apnea. Our Apple Valley dental team can help you navigate these common issues so you can get a good night’s sleep.
Prioritize Your Dental Hygiene Routine This Year
This is the year to take care of your teeth! Crafting a well-thought-out dental calendar helps you track those non-negotiables and proactively addresses potential dental issues before they escalate. By dedicating time to your teeth, you’ll enjoy the beautiful benefits of a confident and healthy smile.
If it’s been too long since you came in for a visit, visit us at Dakota Dental. We’re known for our dedication to our patients, many of whom have been coming to us for years. Why not join them?